Passive LCLC Supply ?

Forum Power supplies Passive LCLC Supply ?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      multiblitz
      Participant

Hi Andrea,

I am still impressed how much the sound of the whole system depends on the power supply…

I would like to try a pure passive, no regs, supply starting with the clocks.

I made good experience with LCLC and LT4320, very low resistance chokes like 50mohm, nano cores, and super through caps from Nichicon…

Is there a ripple spec to meet for the drixco ?

Maybe later i d try as well for the fifo or dac, but the clocks seem to be quiet sensitive and its only one psu…

The Well Audio
        Participant

You can take as reference the ripple coming from a standard LM317 since the measured phase noise with such regulator was the same as using better linear regulator or batteries.

multiblitz
          Participant

ok, The LM317 claims a ripple rejection of -64db…which for a 15V output supply would result in 20mVpp ripple if I got it right.

With a simple LC using 170mH and 200mohm choke and a 50000uF cap after that I will get 6mVpp…

…so a simple LC instead of a LCLC should be enough ?

That is something I can easily test as all the components are in the house…

The Well Audio
            Participant

Theoretically yes, but never tested.

G600
              Participant

I had great outcomes in my previous DAC with LCLC supply, and was wondering if it’ll be the same with the DAC.

I have to install tghe brand new shunts first, and maybe I’ll try after that.

G600
                Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>After an afternoon of work, I have fitted a proper transformer and both Andreas shunt regs.</p>
                  You can see the before/after pics.

Less crowded case, and MUCH better sound, listenable at first hear.

Kazuma
                  Participant

Oh, great to know.

I concidered similar approach first (supercaps etc.), but instead opted for Andrea’s PSs recently too.

Boards are still in transit, but i’m glad to know it’s a ‘hit’, instead of ‘miss’, from someone who tried both approaches.

Agree, those boards look superb, everything is neat and clean.

Can you tell, what kind of transformer did you use there, is it custom winded?

G600
                    Participant

Dear Kazuma,

It’s a hit.

I tried supercaps and such with great expectations, but I was just “under-using” the DAC.

The transformer is a supreme audio grade from Toroidy, custom winded. Far from cheap, but the only easy way for me to have a perfectly quiet toroid.

G600
                      Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.