The well Source…

Forum Digital source The well Source…

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks, 3 days ago by The Well Audio.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      multiblitz
      Participant

…this would be very nice to have…as I clearly can still hear the difference between the Sources with SDtrans384 leading folowed by my old Alix1D with sotm card followed by sotm sms200 streamer…than coming the RP machines much later with Ians mods and battery supply…let alone mini PC or windows sources.

So, what make a good source as it seems:

– Slow Components which are just good enough to feed the stream into the fifo…low EMI I guess

– Very good Clocks (sdtrans384) and direct I2S output of highest quality

– Battery supply, no dc to dc switching PSU components

– Open to Standard software still like MPD..or Hqplayer(as NAA)

– Pipe-Principle: The Source in front of the fifo is just receiving and playing a data stream to the fifo. Its a receiver. The main software (even mpd) is running on a separate different machine.

The is a longer explanation/ topic of a guy who built this and wrote the software (open source) for such a setting in princiole around the italian Aria g25 Mini Computer. He referred to compiling a special Linux while precisious clocks usage (a special Linux mode you can compile when you do not use a standard distro, but compile it yourself) and he wrote the software for the sender and the receiver units:

http://137.226.152.76/frankl/stereoutils/player.html

This was a hobby project, I will try to rebuild his approach but i am not sure if my Linux knowledge is sufficient and if the Linux version he used is still available or if he is still active as this was a hobbyist approach from a German Hifi forum.

But maybe this approach is something for a well source if you ever think to develop one as this is the next big weak piece in the digital audio chain currently. And it plays to your clocks/fifo…and would be completely unique … a different league than any Rp projects.

The Well Audio
      Participant

We can plan the digital source development, but it will take very long time.

Now we are working on the Sonic Empire FIFO/DAC (it takes very long time), then ampli and speakers system.
      Finally we eill work on the digital source.

We aplogize, but we are hobbiest and not professionals, so our designs usually take long time.

multiblitz
      Participant

I fully understand and it is a miracle to me how you managed to develop all of this in your spare time…and make it accessible for others sharing your hobby, highly appreciated…

You really want to expand to build amps and speakers…and sell them ? Send them ? Wow. Not even DcS went into this space. Neither Krell and Others…that is a completely different segment…

So I would have thought that a Mini-Source, like a SD-Card-Player, but with Network-Access would play much more in your strength as deep knowledge of the digital and clock domain…so, I am surprised. In the meantime I will start to build this Arias G25 Player and compare…all the best !

Kazuma
      Participant

Oh, this is an bottomless can of worms. Nobody has a clue why this effect exist really. There are many solutions on market now.

Developers of many products spent much effort to perfect those, so

Most smart move would be to just try out several you can land your hands on, to compare what sound they give.

To develop another solution from scratch would be a waste of resources for now, when other projects are more appealing to finish

multiblitz
      Participant

Well, everybody may have his opinion…but I think Andrea has the right thinking and concept:

– Highest quality of clocks (which source has that ?)

– Minimum approach like NOS

– Battery Supply

– Custom Software Development

– PCB-Design which is not for industry but for audio

…just initial 5ct…many others either use industry mini computers and standard linux distros like fedora in the sotm…and thos who do their own desigs easily charhe you many thousands $$$…

I thonk Andrea gave us with the fifo / DAC alread a huge present…Much above what you can buy commercially, really…

Kazuma
      Participant
      multiblitz you have already tried many flavors of, so to speak, digital sources.
      And your test reports are always so nice to read.
      Many people, including myself are interested in what you will eventually find to be working best.
      Kazuma
      Participant

multiblitz, ive read on another forum that you plan to order many different SoCs from Odroid, BEaglebone and others.

There is an important issue you should be wary of.

For example, on yet another forum there is a long thread about BEaglebone.

And people quickly found out that i2s pins get burned very easily.

If you connect SoC i2s pins to a load, when load is ON, and SoC OFF, it fries i2s.

So, general rule is to use any galvanic isolator on pins (but sound gets worse usually), or strictly follow the rule to never power off SoC, while other device its connected to is ON

Just to give you a heads up, so your efforts will not be ruined with something simple as that.

Because you will need a lot of swaps while comparison tests, and better be safe.

multiblitz
      Participant

Thanks for the hint and the compliments…

I am burning lots of sdcard at the moment while the parcels come each day with additional new socs…

At the moment I will stick with USB input…but i will certainly try I2S directly at some point as well.

..but on this potential I2S burning issue…maybe Andrea can give advise if this risk is given with his fifo as well…there are lots of galvanic isolation chip board oit there i could bring into the game if i have to…but usb/xmos does not sound bad as well already…

multiblitz
      Participant

Andrea, may I ask you some questions:

– It seems that some people made the experience that a SOCs I2S can be destroyed if the SoC is not powered and its load still is…can you see that risk as well with your Fifo ?

– If yes: When I select the source in your Fifo, i hear relays klicking…does this mean, the I2S source is fully detached ? So if the SoC is not powered anymore but not selected as a source…no issue ?

– Or, do I have to use in any case a galvanic isolationboard when using I2S-Sources (mysdtrans384 sofar had no issues without it btw)

And very last question: How do you want the forum be used ? Do you want me to give reports on findings when playing with SoC and Software or shall I use diyaudio or other forums for that ?

The Well Audio
      Participant

I don’t know much about SOCs I2S, we have not yet designed any source so we have never investigated the possible ways.

Anyway, when the FIFO is on the input is a very high load, several Mohms.

If I have undesrtood your problem, I think you have to power off the FIFO and then the SOCs I2S.

The relays of the FIFO have nothing to do with the inputs, the switch between the two sample rate families (oscillators connected to the FIFO).

You can report your experience here and on diyaudio.com, no problem.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.